Distracted driving is one of the most common and dangerous forms of negligence on American roads today. Virtually every time you drive in Chicago, you will see another motorist looking at their phone, eating or drinking behind the wheel or fiddling with their radio — when they should be focused 100 percent on driving.
It’s more than a nuisance. Many experts call distracted driving an epidemic. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says that distracted drivers cause around 10 percent of fatal car accidents in the United States.
The worst distractions for Chicago motorists
Bad habits around distracted driving have become especially common since cellphones became affordable and programmed with all sorts of distractions like texting, phone calls and apps. But there are plenty of ways for irresponsible motorists to cause terrible auto wrecks in Chicago. Here is a list of ten of the most dangerous distractions for drivers, according to Infinity Auto.
- Pets, clutter and other things that can move around the vehicle’s interior
- GPS navigation systems, power windows and adjustable seats (when operated while driving, not before)
- Heat/air conditioning and radios
- Eating and drinking
- Portable devices that are not cellphones, such as a GPS device
- Talking to passengers, especially when the driver turns their head to talk
- Rubbernecking at an accident scene
Safe driving takes discipline. Responsible drivers put away potential distractions and focus on the road until they reach their destination. But they might not be able to avoid an out-of-control distracted driver. A collision can cost you your health, independence, ability to support yourself and quality of life. Nobody should have to bear the financial consequences of someone else’s bad behavior on the road.